Monday, January 17, 2005

Pixar Does it Again!

Just when you think Hollywood was finished making good movies.

We took Nathanga to see the latest cartoon-type picture, I brought along Carl Hiaasen's Lucky You
and led keychain light, just in case. I didn't even pull the book from my pocket.

First off, I saw the Pixar logo - It had been a while since Finding Nemo, so that was a refreshing sight. As with all Pixar pics - we star with a short. It's called Boundin' It has a sheep and it's funny - Didn't want to spoil it for ya.

I won't tell you anything about the plot of The Incredibles because I hate it when people do that. What I will tell you is that it is completely original and, as always with Pixar, perfectly animated! Although Disney as a corporation is a far cry from what Walt had intended, Pixar has emerged as the resplendent Jewel on the rhinestone-encrusted Disney Crown.

Pixar has only released six films, beginning with Toy Story. They take their time - and with good reason. These films are uniquely designed and finely crafted. The female characters are not perversly oversexed as with Disney's "family movies" like Alladin and Little Mermaid. The plots are deep and well thought-out, yet simply presented. Layered like an onion - Kids get the laughs and adults giggle at the more advanced themes. Then when Kids grow up they will look back at the film and think, "Was that in there when I was a kid?"

Pixar's graphic presentation is so unique that you immediately take notice. The 3-D effect is not gimmicky - It just adds detail to the story.

The Incredibles was Directed by Brad Bird, who gave us Do the Bartman. Bird has worked on Animated series like The Simpsons, King of the Hill and The Critic You might also remember The Iron Giant
- Yeah, he wrote and directed that, too.

The world we enter on this journey is just plain fun - perfectly crafted, richer than double fudge and deeper than Socrates. It's one of those movies you just wish you could be in. Twice I got up and dove into the screen in an attempt to enter that world. I was bruised but not discouraged. The Story is fun for kids but has the depth that forty-something superheroes like myself will appreciate.

I urge you to watch this in the Moviehouse - it's too big to be fully appreciated in your living room. The kids in the audience laughing and even toddlers talking about the things they notice add to the experience.

I would also buy the DVD when it comes out.

No comments: