Tuesday, August 17, 2004

never buy a pickup

This is a blog from a couple years back when i lived in the rental office



Never buy a pickup truck!

I don't care how much you want it, need it, have to have it, never buy a pickup truck.

It just lines you up for a lifetime of helping people move. I really messed up yesterday when I told a new tenant I would help him move his stuff from a motel room into his new "five star luxury apt".

first of all the guy comes a-bangin' on my door early this morning (it's Saturday, I don't care what time it was, anytime in the morning is early in the morning) and says "you said you'd let me use your truck, can I have the keys?"

I don't "let" people use my truck. Nobody knows how to control the classic 87 Toyota with the proper skill to keep it in tip-top running order. So here I go driving over to get this guys junk and drop it off. Thirty minutes out of my day to help a fellow man. No big deal.

Two hours and three full (and I mean full) loads later, we can see the floor in part of his hotel room. I can't believe the floor didn't fall through. Have I mentioned this is on the third floor? And he's moving to a second floor unit?

I have to go back and check messages in the office. As soon as I get there I am met by a horde of people. "my sink don't drain" "I wanna pay part of my back rent - I'll get the rest on Monday "we want a bigger apt, for less money" bla bla bla

so now I have to work but this guy has his kids crying cause they think he's taking their toys to the dump. His fat wife is laying around the hotel going through memory lane for each miniscule piece of crap she is gingerly putting in a pile (they had no boxes so I gave them some trash bags).......why is it when people move they can't just remember as they're unpacking in their new digs?

I remember moving when H.B., Eddie and I were roommates. Ed and I were packed and moved in under two hours. H.B. Had seven truckloads of junk that he had to organize for 6 hours before he was ready to start moving. He kept going through boxes of pictures while we cussed and screamed and finally just started throwing his stuff in the truck (and the Volvo wagon, which is another vehicle that makes you a candidate to ask a favor of when it is time for bulky object transport).

Where was I? Oh yeah. Pure frustration lets me drop my senses in the ditch and loan the guy my truck. At least I won't have to help haul the crap up and down the stairs!

That's why I am typing this. I have finished the maintenance work and now I sit here without my wheels - I dare not go looking for the guy because I might find my truck in a heap on main street..

Next time I'm getting another CRX.


No comments: